Friday, October 18, 2013

Kick you when you're down

The appraiser didn't show up this week, or last week. We missed our deadline again, so no answers going into this weekend. It's just unbelievable, and so unacceptable.

I have remained relatively calm throughout this process, until about an hour ago when I just lost it on the phone with everyone I could think of to try and push this through. Particularly at the bank, when they told me it was "really a blessing in disguise" because we saved a quarter of a percent on our mortgage because it is taking so long that rates came down. I'm sorry - but that's just not acceptable to say. No excuses.

The appraiser is going to the house today, and says he will do his best to get the paperwork into the bank today or over the weekend. Either way we won't have any real information until Monday when the banks open again. This is the first time I've cried over the house. I don't want to walk away. I want to live there. But how long are we supposed to get jerked around?

I feel like there is some cosmic agenda, or as if there is something I'm not seeing. Do the appraisers have a problem with my house? the subdivision it's in? the builder? Everyone says no, because all the other houses are moving through. But they do keep telling me that it's a problem with the new housing system. Now that appraisals are federally regulated there is no recourse for dropping the ball. The bad appraisers still get paid, still get jobs and ultimately walk away unscathed.

Lauren told me today that she is certain we will get an accurate appraisal this time. And if it doesn't come in at the right price - she, Bob and the bank will make it right and get us into the house, whatever it takes.

What a disappointing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment