Sunday, August 11, 2013

Roof!

Hi everyone,

I feel that the story of our roof deserves a little explanation. Weeks ago I knew I wanted a gray house, and then the builder asked me what color roof we wanted. Until that moment I don't think I had consciously realized that roof's even CAME in different colors. Then Lauren handed us a giant sample-board and the decisions started. Did we want black? How about weathered wood, pewter gray, mocha, weathered white or harvest?

I knew we wanted the roof to be a neutral color (we could scratch out the greens, browns, white and blue samples.) But this is seriously a question of shades of gray. I thought black would be too overwhelming, after-all the back of the house has a LOT of roof. The sample-board Lauren gave us had one sample of weathered-wood (it's a color and not actually made out of wood) shingles, and the rest were pictures of roof colors. I chose "pewter gray," it was dark and yet had the gray tone to it - so I thought it would match the house and then I promptly forgot anything about it, until about two weeks ago.

All of a sudden I was frantic. Had I chosen the wrong color? Maybe the picture sample won't look anything like the real sample. What if the color looks terrible? What if it's too light, matches the house too much, or has a strange bluish undertone? How will I fix the fact that I have totally screwed up the look of our house????
So, I called Lauren and asked to see the samples. I realize that this should have happened before we signed up for the roof color in the first place, but I figured better late than never. Lauren then told me that the samples are in and ordered (which means if they were all wrong, we would have to pay for a change order to fix my potentially life-ending mistake!)

She brought the samples to the house... all good... but really, without the siding HOW could I be expected to know if the roof would look right. But, my frugal-ness prevailed and I said to myself "Jillian, no use worrying - you can't fix it now. Just try to go with the flow."

And so, I have agonized about what the house will look like ever since.

So when we went by the house yesterday and half of the roof was up, I can hardly explain to you my relief, it is beautiful. perfect. amazing. absolutely everything I wanted.

Back of the house - sorry there aren't pictures of the front! For whatever reason the builders are doing the back first, so that's where the best photos are, and construction equipment is parked all over the front yard.




Work on the interior continues to move ahead. Yesterday they had added corners to all of the walls, which really added a finished look.


Now at my last post there was siding on all four sides of the house. When we went by yesterday they had pulled down all of the siding from one side of the house. Wonder what went awry?



And, as a final parting statement for this exceptionally long post - Brad and I were standing in our back yard when this guy landed in it!!!!



Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment