Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pocket-door!

When my parents were in town we re-toured the model home that our house is based around. My mom pointed out that they had pocket-doors into the master bathroom, which I hadn't given much thought to at the time. Then I realized if we went with the pocket-door we would save a lot of room on one of the walls in the bedroom - no swinging door means we can have decorations or furniture almost the entire length of the wall. The builder said it would be a change, and that with the labor and door it would run us about $250.

We hadn't fully decided yet what we were going to do, when I got a phone call today from Bob the Builder's real estate agent. (Her name is Lauren and she has been SO helpful, she's like a liaison between us and all of the various contractors and Bob.) Anyway, apparently Bob went in to inspect the house and didn't like a few pieces of wood that were used to frame the bathroom entry, so he's having the framer's re-do the wall. Lauren says he's "meticulous."

The great news for us, is now that they are re-doing the wall, they will put the pocket-door in as they re-do the wall today. So instead of charging us for a change order, additional labor and the door, now it will just cost us $50 for the actual door itself. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Have you seen the episode of House Hunters where the guy is OBSESSED with pocket doors? It cracked me up. We have one in our master bath...I'm not a huge fan of them, but it saves a TON of space in our tiny hallway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want one in our basement bathroom when we have it renovated - the room is almost too small for ME to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love house hunters. But no, I haven't seen it. I read online that you save around 10 square feet of usable space in your home by having them. I don't want too many, but our bedroom furniture is over-sized, so we need every bit of extra room we can manage.

    ReplyDelete