Friday, January 3, 2014

Yogi diaries


So yesterday was Yogi's first day at home, unattended, while Brad and I went to work. Up until yesterday things had been pretty smooth sailing (which I guess doesn't mean much since he had only been with us for 48 hours.) We dutifully locked Yogi in his ex-pen in the kitchen and off to work we went. I thought about him all day long, wondering how he was doing but figured things couldn't be too bad since he was contained in his ex-pen. Man did I underestimate the power of a curious puppy.

Brad was able to get home before I could, and I needed to go to the barn for a moment to check on my horse. Well, as soon as I finished with Prince I just had a feeling that something had happened, and I looked at my phone to find two missed calls and a text from Brad that read "don't come inside, hang out at the barn if you can." Well of course I called him immediately, terrified that something had gone horribly wrong at home. Brad picks up the phone and the conversation went something like this...

Brad: "Don't come home unless you want to have a heart attack."

Me: "WHAT? OH MY GOSH IS EVERYONE OK? WHAT HAPPENED."

Brad: "The puppy managed to pull the table cloth off of the kitchen table. A can of red paint was sitting on said table. Need I say more?"

Me: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

In the five minutes it took me to drive home from the barn I had visions of red paint splattered across my brand new white kitchen cabinets. A puppy covered in red paint. Red paint on the walls, the floor, the carpet. Did I mention it might be on the very white cabinets? What if the puppy licked up some of the paint? What vet would be open now that could see us?

Luckily my imagination was far worse than the reality I came home to. The puppy had indeed pulled everything from the kitchen table when he yanked off the table cloth. But thank goodness the quart of paint had not exploded, it really seemed to have mostly just tipped over, and spilled it's contents into one giant red puddle on my wood floor. Which was out of the reach of the puppy.

Two roles of paper towels, one never-to-be-used-again toothbrush and a big bucket of soapy water later - the mess was cleaned up. And amazingly you can't even tell it had happened.

Needless to say, the table cloth has been put away in the closet until the puppy grows up... a lot. All items have been removed from the puppy's reach, and I have thoroughly learned my lesson.

This weekend will be all about puppy-proofing the house.


:) Despite the minor heart attack, this really wasn't a big deal. We were able to clean everything up, and everyone was okay. But it definitely reminded me that I need to take a closer look at our home to make sure that the puppy stays safe. He is so sweet, and he really is trying to be a good boy. But he's 10 weeks old and doesn't have a clue. He also has the attention span of a young goldfish, so after about six seconds of playing with something he gets bored and distracted and goes searching for entertainment.

Zahzu has been wonderful. She is really putting up with a lot from Yogi. He spends most of his awake-hours chasing her around trying to bite her little tail. So far they seem to be getting along pretty well. They like to go outside together and run around. And they both seem so happy to go out for walks together too.

It's nice to have a busier house. It makes me really happy.

Happy new year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment