Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cabinet makeover!

I have been so excited about this house update, but I've also been very nervous about making this kind of permanent change to our new home. Today Brad added pulls to the kitchen cabinets.

We have been talking about doing this since before the house was complete. It was expensive to have the cabinet company install the fixtures, but because of the type of cabinet we chose - it was also going to be necessary. We really couldn't get the cabinets to open, and because they are white they were getting lots of fingerprints.

We found some great knobs and pulls at our local Ace Hardware, and we cleaned them out. They didn't have enough for us to do all of the cabinets, so we have about 20 more on order. Here's a preview. I'm loving it so far! It's easy to open everything now, and I think it makes the cabinets much more finished. I was so nervous when Brad started drilling that I had to leave the house. Luckily, he's super careful and precise, so they all came out perfect.

To aid us in our quest for perfectly-placed knobs we used a template - what a great tool. It's basically just a square piece of plastic with a bunch of holes drilled in it. Brad was able to mark inside of the holes directly onto the cabinet, and then just drill where he had made the marks. We didn't have to take the cabinet doors off, and he was done with eight cabinets in about 30 minutes.

The rest of the knobs are on order at Ace, and should be in by Tuesday. Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment