Friday, August 14, 2015

Canceled our cable!

I did it! I canceled our cable subscription. And let me tell you, they don't make it easy to do. This morning, after Savannah and I had breakfast, fed the dogs and got ready for the day, we sat down together and called the cable company. The woman from Charter was very friendly, and asked why did we want to discontinue their television services?

"Because I want to experience life for myself, and not live vicariously through other people, and waste away in front of a television," I said.

She laughed a bit, and then clearly had to go through a rather involved process to try and CONVINCE me to not cancel our cable t.v. "Do you have children?" she asked. [This was where I thought she was going to be like, "hey good job parenting!" HA. I actually took notes on what she said.]

She told me about the "soothing baby music" the television can play, the "educational programs," and "video on demand" with "baby shows in your child's age range." And BEST OF ALL - I can take it with me wherever I go. Play it on my phone, or tablet. Use it in the car. Now keep in mind that every pediatrician we have seen has said babies under two should have no screen time.

No thanks. Just cancel the TV please, but I'd like to keep my internet and home phone services.

Well, goodbye discounts. They don't offer discounts to customers who only want internet and phone services. I'm no longer eligible to receive "reduced rates." Okay fine. Whatever, just tell me how much it's going to cost me. This is where it gets a little sketchy. She said it would cost $71.98 before taxes and fees. But she can't tell me what the final cost will be. They have to remove my services first, and then see how much it will cost me. But HEY if I want to keep my cable, they will sign me up for a new low promotional rate, for $125 including taxes and fees! (Amazing how they can give you a final number when it comes to paying for ALL of their services.)

It felt like such a cable conspiracy. Why do I need to justify my choice, and furthermore why isn't the same information available if I choose to not have cable?

Oh well. Goodbye tv, hello real world! I've got an extra $50 per month in my pocket now that you're gone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment